Very windy both Saturday and Sunday, but the weather was much drier than forecast. Possibly because of the forecast, not much of a turn out for open house day, and rough conditions for taking people out for a sail, but we managed to give a few people a thrilling sailing experience.
On shore hospitality was awesome, thanks to Debbie and Brian Woods.
Saturday BBQ was also delightful, with a workable combination of wind and mosquitoes! Great chance to visit, good food, and excellent atmosphere.
The keel boat race on Sunday had to be cancelled because winds were gusting over 20 knots.
Hopefully next Friday, Canada Day, weather conditions will allow us to run the first dinghy race.
All members and family are invited to join us for racing, an evening potluck BBQ and an update on club news on Saturday, September 11th.
Keelboats will have timed and scored races, while dinghies and cats will have practice races, without timing and scoring; a perfect occasion to try racing, even if you are not familiar with the rules. We anticipate that at least 3 keel boats and hopefully, several catamarans plus dinghies will be sailing, many of whom will need crew. This is a great opportunity for our new members to sail & meet many of our long standing members & their families. Club boats are available for members to use on a first come, first served basis. Please let Charles know (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you plan to sail, what boat you are planning to sail or whether you wish to crew.
We’ll begin with a skippers’ meeting at 12:30 pm. First race follows at 1:00pm, weather permitting. We will try to have 3 races.
At 5:30 pm we will gather on the deck of the upper clubhouse. Please bring your own main entre (your protein & any condiments you may require) and drinks, plus something to share with others (appies, salads, desserts). Club executives will provide updates on club business.
Be sure to RSVP (by Sept. 8) to Deb Woodsat (email@example.com) & indicate what you plan to bring to share at the BBQ & how many of you will attend.
Now for the ‘fine print’. For the safety of all of our members, we will comply with public health recommendations even though many are no longer required public health restrictions. So, we request that those attending the evening BBQ be fully vaccinated (other than children under 12 who may attend with their parents). Additionally, we ask that face masks be worn at the BBQ when not eating. To avoid congestion in the kitchen area during clean-up, for this year only, we will be using disposable plates & utensils. Alternatively, members are invited to bring their own plates and utensils to the BBQ and take them home dirty to wash at your own place. Additionally, everyone should wash or sanitize their hands prior to serving themselves/handling food. Sanitizer will be readily available. We will encourage social distancing while on the deck and in the clubhouse.
This past weekend, a number of members did a fantastic job of moving the club sailboats out and cleaning both the lower and upper clubhouses. Most of the opening day chores have now been completed by small groups of individuals on different weekends. Thank you to all who participated.
We can’t start racing until we get authorization from Manitoba Sailing, who are in turn waiting for approval from provincial health authorities. But members can sail all they want at the club.
We can’t hold the scheduled keelboat races this coming Saturday June 19th, but let’s get as many boats out as possible (keel boats, dinghies or cats) to “Sail around the islands” Saturday afternoon starting at 1 p.m.. A proposed course will be outlined on the blackboard. We must all comply with the rule of no more than five people from no more than three households in a boat.
A select subcommittee of the keel boat caucus* is proposing sailing down to Picnic Island after the races on Saturday July 18 for a BBQ. If all interested sailors bring their own plates, utensils, etc, we can have COVID-careful picnic.
Boats sail away from the club before 5 pm. [weather permitting…]
In light of the Manitoba government’s announcements on Wednesday, the FYC Board understands that many of our members will be wondering what the
gradual reopening means for our club. As some of the restrictions in Manitoba begin to ease, the FYC Board is continuing to monitor the directions from the provincial government and health officials, and determine the best course of action for how and when we may proceed with
our club opening in a manner that ensures the safety of our members.
As it stands, the new orders maintain the gathering size limit of no more than 10 people at any indoor or outdoor premises, which provides us with a unique challenge. For details, of the Manitoba government’s phased in plan to support the gradual restoring of services and opening of businesses in Manitoba, see the Province of Manitoba’s official web page: Restoring safe services.
Sail Manitoba has a Board meeting via Zoom on May 6, at which the question of Sail Manitoba and its members clubs will be the primary focus. We will provide our members with an update on when and how our club opening will proceed after the Sail Manitoba Board meeting.